Twitter

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Egyptian Mythology


The Temple of Isis, in the Island of Philae, where part of my story is set.

Last year, I had the unique opportunity to travel to Egypt, cruise the Nile River and tour the monuments of Ancient Egypt. After immersing myself in the pharaonic civilization, I brought back hundreds of pictures and brochures about Egyptian gods, and even a map of Ancient Egypt to help in my research.


The Island of Philae, picture taken from a boat on the Nile River
Osiris’ Missing Part,  my first paranormal romance, is set in mythological Egypt.
This book is dedicated to the many friends, readers and fans who love Ancient Egypt, a fabulous civilization, shrouded in mystery, glamour and mysticism.

ISIS, OSIRIS, and SETH
According to the legend, the evil Egyptian god of storm, Seth, killed his brother Osiris, chopped him into fourteen pieces and flung them all over Egypt. Isis, goddess of family, reassembled thirteen of his body parts. Since she couldn’t find his supernatural male member where his godly power was stored, she reattached a human one.

Isis has always loved Osiris, the charming god of labor every woman adores. While dreaming of marriage, family and a son, she helps him fight Seth. Together they struggle to survive iniquities and perils.

His trip to the Afterlife has changed Osiris. He’s attracted to Isis and regrets his past womanizing. Guided by oracles she utters when they make love, they search lands and seas until they find his missing organ and he recovers his godly attributes. Osiris has fallen in love with Isis but the sins of his past and their unexpected consequences threaten to separate them more painfully than Seth’s mayhem and curses.

Chapter One

Ancient Egypt, at the dawn of time.

Isis, goddess of health and family, bent over the gilded sarcophagus and laid her cheek upon the lifeless face. “Osiris, my love.” Grief raked her and soft sobs escaped her lips as she stroked his chest with tender caresses.

After a moment of desolation, she exhaled at the futility of her moaning. Desperate words and kisses had never revived a dead body, especially one cut into several pieces. Determined to bring him back to life, she swallowed her wailing and stiffened her back. Adjusting his severed parts close to each other, she pressed them tightly together and sealed the junctions with her tears.

With the greatest care, she pressed her key of life to Osiris’ forehead, swept it over his chest and belly, and tapped his groin a few times while she recited a litany of prayers from the Book of the Dead. “Osiris, god of knowledge and work, I command you, leave the Afterlife.”

The body squirmed against the walls confining him. Clutching her key of life with all her strength, she brushed his lips with a cautious kiss and blew her godly vigor into his mouth. His chest rose and fell.

Joy exploded in Isis’ heart. “Almighty Osiris, you’re alive. Finally.” Her voice resonated like a triumphant hymn.

His eyelids fluttered and he squinted. “Isis,” he muttered in a guttural voice she hardly recognized. “Where…what…?”

Dropping to her knees in the mud and the dewy grass on the bank of the Nile River, Isis watched him anxiously as he patted his neck and torso. His hand skated to his belly, skimmed down to the junction of his thighs and lingered over his shaft. Shock and fear twitched his face. He yanked back his fingers and heaved up his head for a better look at his groin.

“By my ankh-specter and its tau, this isn’t… Where is my…my…?” Osiris’ loud interjection ended in a groan that gnawed at Isis’ heart. It hadn’t taken him long to notice the unfamiliar member. Panic filled his eyes at the absence of his most prized organ and his gaze flitted from his crotch to her face.

A sigh escaped Isis’ quivering lips. Unable to detach her gaze from the area that should have harbored his fabulous shaft and now displayed a human penis, void of supernatural power, she debated how to reveal the tragedy.

“You’re alive and awake.” To reassure him, she caressed his chest with her open palm and leaned forward to rain kisses over his taut flesh. “Still more handsome than any desert knight, my lord. A generous king of the earth that Egyptians revere.”

Her loving gesture elicited another growl of frustration. With a disgusted grunt, Osiris grabbed her hand and lowered it between his thighs. “This is not my glorious member, my pride. Isis, my godly power is missing. What happened?” His voice curt, his tone impatient, Almighty Osiris scrambled to a sitting position in the wooden coffin. “Where is my own penis?” His thunderous voice echoed across the clouded skies. “Answer me, woman.”

 OSIRIS' MISSING PART
Ellora's Cave Blush,  June 23, 2011
A sensual paranormal romance based on a legend and set in Egyptian Mythology. Feel the humor and emotion, share the action and suspense, as you explore Ancient Egypt from the Valley of the Nile to the Red Sea shore and beyond.

26 comments:

Barbara Edwards said...

I envy your trip to Egypt. It's something I've dreamed of doing and what great inspiration.
The book sounds wonderful.

Jean Drew said...

I adore ancient Egypt and am myself working on a trilogy. Good luck with your book.
Jean

Maggie Toussaint said...

This sounds like a fun read, Mona. I think every man, superhuman or not, would notice if an inferior piece of equipment was substituted There. Thank you for being such a great travel blogger and bookwriter!

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Mona, how exciting you got to travel to Egypt. Such a rich civiliazation at a time you wouldn't expect. I'm looking forward to this unique story!

Smiles
Steph

Unknown said...

Mona! I didn't know you had this in you! It's so funny...in places! You've quite an imagination, my girl. This story should do really, really well. I've never encountered a story quite like this one.
I'm glad you visited Egypt when you did...it might not be as nice, now.
Celia

Keena Kincaid said...

Beautiful photos, Mona. Egypt is on my bucket list...so is reading this book. I love the concept. Good luck with sales.

Traci said...

This is going to be a fun story to read, Mona - I can't wait! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,Jean,Maggie, Steph,Celia, Keena, Traci. Thank you for stopping and commenting. I apologize for the common response. Internet is difficult on a ship and keep cutting. We visited Palma del Gran Canaries yesterday, pretty island, and today Tenerife that's is nice, clean and attractive I told them to forget me there.

Tomorrow it's a place called Arrecife. Never heard about it. They are all at the level of Liberia, I think. weather has been decent. But trying to start promoting my new book this way is a bit stressful.

Again thank you all for being here.

Mona

Lynne Marshall said...

Mona! I didn't know you'd expanded your writing talent into the paranormal market. Fantastic!

Great cover, intriguing topic.

All the best wishes for great success,
Lynne

Mary Marvella said...

Mona, I love your photos and I know I'll love this new book. A guy missing his "man root"? Poor guy!

Nancy J. Cohen said...

I love your settings, Mona, and this book promises to deliver another great story.

Morgan Mandel said...

Looking forward to knowing more about Egypt from you.
Also am wondering what was so special about the missing member.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Molly Daniels said...

Congratulations Mona!! Wow, this seems like another 'must read' from you!!

LOVE this premise!!! (and sooo not the Isis of my childhoodSaturday morning entertainment, hee hee!)

Ava Bleu said...

Promises to be a highly enjoyable read, Mona. Good job!

Ilona Fridl said...

You seemed to have a wonderful trip to Egypt, Mona! Envy on my part. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an archiologist. Great Osiris and Isis story.

Jacquéline Roth said...

I've found Egyptian mythology very interesting. They were even more convoluted than the Greeks. The pics are gorgeous.

Missing parts? Yikes that sounds uncomfortable. But then again with Osiris' track record, it could be understandable.

Jianne Carlo said...

How lovely to be on a cruise Mona! Congrats on the new release. The book sounds very intriguing.

Mona Risk said...

Lynne, this is my first paranormal. When I heard the legend I loved the conflict!!

Mary, Isis gave him a good one instead until...

Nancy, it's a book full of humor on her part and emotion on his part. LOL

Hi Morgan, Molly, Ava, Ilona, I promise you a great trip through Egypt and the Seychelles islands in the Indian Ocean.

Jacqueline, his special member is the center of his godly power!

Jianne, believe me it's very inconvenient to promote a book from a ship cruise with wacky Internet.

Deana said...

What a way to research! And the book sounds captivating to say the least:)

Mona Risk said...

Hi Deanna,thank you for stopping by my blog. My book will be release in a week.

Josie said...

Mona,
What a fascinating subject, and you've researched so well. Congrats on another successful book.

Barbara Monajem said...

I couldn't help but giggle when I read the excerpt. This story sounds like a ton of fun!

Sandra Cox said...

Congratulations, Mona, on your new release. Wishing you many sales.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Josie, Barbara, Sandra, glad you enjoyed the excerpt. The book is funny with a tongue-in-cheek emotion.

Kristin Wallace said...

Sounds intriguing. Cool pictures, too. Love to go there some day.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Kristin, it's a trip you will love, both through my story by armchair traveling and in reality, when the actual situation setlles down.