Twitter

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Amarillo, TX. seen by a Floridian

Last weekend, thirteen members of my family and extended family flew to Amarillo, TX, to attend the Final Profession of Vows of my sweet niece, now Sister Regina Marie. It was a grand ceremony followed by a joyful reception. I will blog about it tomorrow.

Today I want to offer you a few pictures of Amarillo, a small Texan city surrounded by desert lands.

Amarillo's small airport is pompously named Amarillo International Airport because the Fed Ex plane stops there.
Today I will post a few pictures of Amarillo that reflects the real heart of Texas. I kept thinking of my friend Celia Yeary who loves so much her blue state and often blogs about it.

As soon as I landed, I broke into a large smile at the sight of handsome hunks wearing Stetson hats. No wonder so many authors like to write about cowboys.

We had lunch at an old saloon where the ribs tasted heavenly.

Here I am wrapped in a heavy coat, hat and scarf, trying to imagine what it would be like to travel in that last-century carriage.
Our group is posing in front of an unhappy cow.
Even the waitresses wear the famous Stetson.

Can you see the balcony, chandeliers and upper rooms? I can only guess what the rooms were used for after a good dinner and few drinks.
Celia, this post is for you and all our friends who live in Texas. Tomorrow I will blog about my niece's profession of vows.

If you like to travel and love to read, come and enjoy my international romances. I will take you around the world through stories that simmer with emotion and sizzle with heat.

BABIES IN THE BARGAIN winner of 2009 Best Romance Novel at Preditors & Editors and winner of 2009 Best Contemporary Romance at Readers Favorite.
Rx FOR TRUST, winner of 2010 Best Contemporary Romance at Readers Favorite and 2011 EPICON.
http://www.monarisk.com/

18 comments:

Cindy K. Green said...

Great pics, Mona! I've been to Amarillo a couple times while traveling across the country.

Maggie Toussaint said...

I've never been to Amarillo, but you made it come to life through your pictures and your experience there. Yee-haw!

Cheryl Pierson said...

Mona,
Looks like you all were having a great time! Loved the cow. We have one of those here at WESTERN SIZZLIN' (a restaurant).
Cheryl

Morgan Mandel said...

That's got to be Texas - all those boots, and hats, and horses - dead giveaway.

Sounds like a fun time!

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Barbara Monajem said...

I've driven through Amarillo a number of times. I remember it as a very windy place!

Mary Ricksen said...

Howdy!!!
Who doesn't love Texas! I lived in El Paso and it was all desert and tumbleweeds, but the guys are very hot in their hats.
Great pics Mona!

Unknown said...

Mona--my lands! I'm so surprised and pleased that you'd do this for me and my Texas friends. All I can say is, I'm glad I don't live in Amarillo. I grew up near there, closer to Lubbock, but now I live in the Hill Country, in the heart of Texas, covered in live oaks and juniper trees--and lots of water. It llok really cold there. In face, often in the winter, Amarillo will be colder than Michingan. Thanks for the great photos--I know what that is--and I'll look for your blog tomorrow about your niece. Celia

Mary Marvella said...

Cool photos and commentary, Mona. I love a man in a stetson, clothes optional.

Mona Risk said...

Cindy, I can't believe so many people know that little city and its famous restaurant.

Mona Risk said...

Maggie, I thought these pictures offer the best of Texas, handsome hunks, boots, carriage, and good food. Plus the rooms upstairs. LOL

Mona Risk said...

Cheryl, we had a great time. Lot of fun and lot of prayers.

Mona Risk said...

See Morgan, you'd recognize Texas without my comments, just by the hats and boots.

Mona Risk said...

Windy and cold, Barbara. So cold for one coming from Florida.

Mona Risk said...

Mary, you described it so well desert, tumbleweeds and hot guys. .

Mona Risk said...

Celia--you are my Texan Lady, par excellence. And you made me love your state.

Mona Risk said...

Mary M. believe they were all cute guys. You should have seen my smile at the airport. The funny thing is they were smiling at my pretty niece, the nun's sister. LOL

Molly Daniels said...

Great pics Mona! Never been to Texas, so thanks for bringing it to life!

Loved your comment about the unhappy cow! We've got pictures of the kids standing in front of wildlife statues in Colorado, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

Judith Keim said...

Great insight into a small Texan town...and yes, cowboys are hunky!!Thanks for sharing, Mona!