Twitter

Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas at my place

The week before Christmas was hard as I kept thinking that Mom would not be with us for Christmas. Also I took a box of cookies and went to the assisted living to wish a Merry Christmas to the ladies who were taking care of Mom. Going back to the place where I visited her every day was horrible. I hardly stayed half an hour. To distract myself, I cooked a lot and prepared the Christmas Eve's dinner and Christmas Day's lunch.
But I had a wonderful Christmas time with my four grandchildren playing, screaming, running, and having the time of their life in spite of grandpa ordering them to stop running every ten minutes. We have two gay scrooges leaving on the floor beneath us. When the kids run, they hit their ceiling with a broom, or call and yell to "stop the damn kids from running". Thank God, they didn't do it this year, so I will give them a box of cookies for New Year to thank them for their new understanding.

On Christmas Eve I had twelve adults and the four little ones for dinner. They told me everything was delicious. The kids opened their presents before dinner and later entertained us with a special show they put together.
On Sunday, we all went to Mass, my children, their spouses and their children. The young parents spent their time whispering to their little ones to be quiet and behave. I thought my grandchildren were perfectly well behaved, their intermittent chats blissfully covered by the choir's songs. The people in the rows behind us must have thought the same as they constantly smiled at the little ones. We had lunch early as my daughter was leaving at 5 and driving three hours to Melburn. A neonatologist by profession, she's on call for four days and has agreed to cover the delivery room of that hospital during the Christmas holiday.

An hour before she left, we took the kids to the park. Little Madelyn, (4) jumped on the monkey bars, got scared and called Mommy. Well, Mommy ran, jumped up and tried to come down carrying her. I was running behind her and caught Madelyn from her just in time for Mommy not to fall on the ground. But she twisted her back and fractured a rib. She hadn't yet recovered from a reconstructive surgery on her ankle. In spite of that, she left for Melburn after swallowing a Motrin for the pain.

Yesterday my daughter-in-law and I took the three girls to see the movie, Tangled, the story of Rapunzel. We ate pop-corn and then went to Target to buy books about Rapunzel, and a nice Rapunzel brush for their hair. The stores were packed with parents and children, as if shoppers have decided to do their shopping after Christmas rather than before. With the lousy economy, it's not surprising.

After the kids finally slept, the adults played cards. With drinks, appetizers and a lot of laughter when five adults, with competitive minds, are determined to win.
And today my son and his family left. The house is suddenly too quiet, but I still have my two little girls.

God bless the children who make Christmas such a joyous time.
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

If you like to travel and love to read, come and enjoy my international romances. I will take you around the world through stories that simmer with emotion and sizzle with heat.
BABIES IN THE BARGAIN winner of 2009 Best Romance Novel at Preditors & Editors and winner of 2009 Best Contemporary Romance at Readers Favorite.
Rx FOR TRUST, winner of 2010 Best Contemporary Romance at Readers Favorite and 2011 EPICON.
http://www.monarisk.com/

17 comments:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Mona, How delightful of an accounting. Your grandchildren are so beautiful and I am so glad to got to me two of them in Orlando. You are truly blessed, and I know your Mother was there in spirit and happy to see you all together in joy. :)

Mary Marvella said...

Thanks for sharing, Mona. My daughter is in a somber mood this year and I have no grand kids. My nephew and niece aren't joining the family dinners for different reasons and my brother's son lives in Denver with his grand kids.

The three siblings and my sis-in-law met for lunch at an IHOP. Then I had supper with an older friend and her granddaughter. She needed the company and was grateful I joined her disjointed family.

Keena Kincaid said...

Mona,
What a fabulous Christmas, and it sounds like you have a wonderful family. You were brave to go back to the assisted living center where your mother was, but I can't blame you for staying such a short time. I sure the residents there appreciated it.

I hope 2011 is a fabulous year for you, filled with blessings, joyous days and many sales.

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Mona,
What a blessing! Thanks so much for sharing your Christmas and your pictures with us. While cooking is time consuming, I really enjoy it. The boys and I made sugar cookies for Santa by hand and they really enjoyed it!

The last picture with all the children on the couch was beautiful

Smiles
Steph

Mary Ricksen said...

There is nothing like children to make a Christmas special! I miss the delight of their presence. I would have loved to see their play!
Your mom was there in spirit.
You must have done a lot of cooking to feed all those people! Hope you had help!
And your poor daughter, she broke a rid, awful for her. But lucky you were behind her...
I miss a house full of laughing and yes running children. :0)

Sandra Cox said...

The grand babies are adorable, Mona. Hope 2011 is a wondrous one. You know I'm thinking about you.

Beth Trissel said...

Mona, wonderful account of your Christmastime. So enjoyed it. Darling pics.

Mona Risk said...

Paisley, I had you in mind when I posted the children's pictures. I know how much you like to see them.

Mona Risk said...

Mary, I hope the new year will be better for you. It's wonderful that you reached and helped your friend when you were not in the mood yourself.

Mona Risk said...

Keena, I was hoping to feel my mother's presence at the place where she lived. The shock of feeling her but finding everything was the same except she was not there was something I didn't expect. I thought I was strong enough, but I wasn't.

Mona Risk said...

Steph, how cute. You should post the pictures of your little boys backing cookies. I had my granddaughter helping me cook.

Mona Risk said...

Mary, there was so much food I still have left-overs. It's good to have company for holidays.

Mona Risk said...

Thank you Sandra. Wishing you the best for 2011.

Mona Risk said...

Beth, I am glad you enjoyed my Christmas report and pictures.

Molly Daniels said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Mona:) Blessings to you and your family!

Mona Risk said...

Molly, the same to you. Happy New Year and may all your wishes come true.

LK Hunsaker said...

Sounds wonderful, Mona, and what cute photos!

Heck our stores were packed for 2 weeks before Christmas and still are. Kind of surprising.