Twitter

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Unfortunately

I have been unable to blog for the last few days. My mom is back at the hospital.

You won't believe what happened. My mom doesn't walk. She moves by wheelchair from her bed to her recliner to the bathroom. On Sunday morning a phone call woke me at 6:30 am. A nurse from the assisted living telling me Mom fell in the bathroom but is okay.

We rushed there right away and asked questions. How could she fall when she doesn't walk and is never alone? Apparently the aid made her walk to the bathroom, dressed her and then let her brush her teeth and comb her hair while standing at the sink. The aid was next to her, not holding her or standing behind her. Mom lost her balance and tumbled backward. The whole staff knew she can't walk, haven't walked in five months and has no balance. And they told me she's fine!!!

The aid said she caught her as she was falling while Mom said she hit her shoulder on the shower step. They brought the x-rays machine to her apartment. I just found out she has a fractured tibia in her right leg. They decided to send her to the in-hospital. Mom hates it. I said no. Only out-patient service to put a cast if necessary. Poor Mom doesn't complain and accepts everything. I am so mad, so depressed. My poor Mom has suffered so much.

Now they are telling me she needs a 24 hour nurse with her. They can put a whole staff!!! If they are as incompetent or negligent or unscrupulous as the one she had with her, what's the use. Trying hard to keep my sanity, but yesterday was a lousy day and we ended up at the in-hospital.

Today was better as the hospital staff was really good. The orthopedic surgeon decided Mom doesn't need surgery but only a cast. I am starting to breathe better.

I hope to be back on the blog soon.

Babyeblue, Terry, Skye I will send your your prize as soon as I have a minute.

Meanwhile don't forget our manin contest.

Here are my questions:

1- In To Love A Hero: what is the name of the colonel who is Sergei's close friend?

2- What is the name of the American contract director who travels with Cecile?

3-In French Peril: what is the name of the Chateau's butler?

4- What is the name of François' former French girlfriend?

5-In Babies in the Bargain, what is the baby's name.

6- What is Marc's brother's name?


Are you ready to play?I will post this until the end of August 15 to give you the time to find the answers. We will have a winner and three runners up.


The prizes are: A bracelet in painted copper from Tunisia.A bracelet and antique car brooch from Spain.A silver pharaonic pendant from EgyptA Golden Heart winner's autographed book by Beth Andrews.


PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN MY MAILING LIST (the white box on the left of the blog) if you haven't done so already. To make it easier, now I need an answer to four of the six questions.

Links to buy my books: Click on the sites.
TO LOVE A HERO: At Jasmine Jade and At Amazon.com
FRENCH PERIL: At Jasmine Jade and At Amazon.com
BABIES IN THE BARGAIN is Bestseller #2 in its category Champagne Roses (long contemporary) at The Wild Rose Press.


If you like to travel and love to read, come and enjoy my international romances. I will take you around the world through stories that simmer with emotion and sizzle with heat.

13 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Mona, I am so sorry to hear about your mom.

Molly Daniels said...

I am soooo sorry to hear about your mom. That just irritates me; why was the aid not informed of your mom's 'non-walking' status? I smell something fishy here. Is there someplace else you could take her? And REPORT the nursing home! That's just plain negligance. Your mother deserves better care, honey.

You're in my prayers.

Mary Ricksen said...

I know just how you feel. Another problem is teaching hospitals. My father was killed when a student put a tube into his stomach, (one the family told them not to put in at all!), the student perforated his stomach and he died a painful horrible death. Kinda like getting gut shot. You have to watch everything and even then...
Never go to the Mayo clinic, ugh!

Cheryl Pierson said...

Mona,

Incompetence is everywhere in that field! We live in Oklahoma, and my parents were in 2 different nursing homes and then went to live with my sister where they had 24/7 care. EVEN THEN, my sister caught one of the aids feeding my mom fried eggs which Mom always had detested her entire life! Couldn't even stand to smell them cooking, much less eat them. When my sister confronted the aid, she replied, "Well, she's eating them, isn't she?" My sister said, "I better not EVER see you do that again." It took her several days to find a replacement, but she did, and let that woman go. But you think of how often stuff like that happens everywhere. People don't care, a lot of the time, and they pay those aids next to nothing in the nursing homes. Now the aids my sister hired made darn good money because it was private care. But even then, finding someone dependable and kind was pretty hard to do. Keep a close watch on them--it sounds like you are. Do you have other family members that could "pop in" unannounced? That's always good. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I KNOW how you feel. It is the most helpless feeling, I think.
I'm thinking of you.
Cheryl

Jane said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

kerribookwriter said...

Just have to jump in and tell you that it makes me absolutely sick about what happened with you Mom. Sometimes those people who are supposed to be caregivers are so incompetent. I hope that appropriate disciplinary action is being taken.

Meanwhile, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Big hugs!

Mona Risk said...

Thank you Sandra.

Today Mom is out of the hospital. No surgery and no cast. Because of her age and the fact that she doesn't walk they put a brace to immoblize her leg. She went back home by ambulance this evening.

Mona Risk said...

Molly, what I hated is the way the aid lied and said she held and stopped Mom from falling. Yeah that's why she broke the bone in her leg. Not a light fracure. A complete break.

Mona Risk said...

Mary, that is awful. To lose a loved one because of a student mistake. I can imagine your pain.

Mona Risk said...

Cheryl, I am with Mom from 9 am to 3 pm and my friend is with her from 3 pm to 9 pm. She's alone only for the time she is in bed or getting ready to go in or out of bed, and still it happened at 6 am. There is no way to control everything. See what happened to your Mother.

Mona Risk said...

Thank you jane and thank you Kerry. I complained to the head nurse who said she'll have a tough word with the aid and the whole personnel.

Cheryl Pierson said...

Hi Mona,
I know, there is no way to control everything. You'd have to be there constantly. It was just by accident that my sister discovered the aid feeding those eggs to Mom, too. She came home early from an errand. I'm thinking of you. There's a saying that I love, and it might help: Do your best, leave the rest, angels do no more. I always think of that, because we just can't be everywhere all the time. I hope everything gets better soon. My heart just goes out to you.
Cheryl

Babyblue22 said...

Mona, I'm so sorry that you, your mother and your family have to go through this....It's Absolutely Horrible!!
I pray for a speedy recovery for her.
Best Wishes To You and Your Family!
~Afshan