Twitter

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day



Today I celebrated Mother’s Day as a daughter, mother and grandmother. My son-in-law invited four generations of women to lunch. My daughter and her two little girls, 4 and 2, and my son’s daughter, 3, visiting from Chicago, my mother and myself.

Lunch was lovely. We ignored the spilled glass of orange juice, the I-don’t-like-it whining and the crumbles forming an obvious mess under the table.

It took fifteen minutes to sit the women for the picture of the century. Moving my mother and her walker to a strategic place, and then having her hold on the rail at the entrance stairs wasn’t too difficult, but gathering three laughing, squealing and squirming little girls and having them stand still for two seconds was an enormous challenge. However, the effort was worth the pain. The children are growing too fast and we don’t know how long we will be blessed with my mother’s presence.

I hope all the mothers reading this blog had a great day today.

Sometimes Mother’s Day is a difficult time. I know it is extremely difficult for my cousin who lost her mother a week ago. For her and her family, Mother’s Day consisted in a trip to the cemetery to deposit flowers on a fresh grave.

Enjoy your mothers and enjoy your day as a mother.

I often mention a grandmother in my books to honor my own mother. The grandmothers in my books, whether they are called, Nana, Nonna, Mémé, , Momom, Babushka or Grandma, are all delightful and strong characters. While they adore their grandchildren, they don’t mince words with their own grownup kids.

How did you spend your Mother’s Day?

4 comments:

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Mona, what a lovely family photo with four generations of your family. One to treasure. Hope you had a lovely day. In the UK we celebrate Mother's day in March. So our day happened a while ago, before RT and all the fun recently.

Shelley Munro said...

I love the photo, Mona. It sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Unknown said...

What a good looking bunch of women

Mona Risk said...

Thank you Helen, Shelley and Amarinda. It's a picture I will frame and treasure.