Twitter

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Excitement and Anxiety

When I decided to quit my job seven years ago to fulfill my dream of writing romance novels, I was determined to make it an early retirement, a fun time to relax. RELAX.

R-E-L-A-X.

I had more than my share of angst and excitement with exams and waiting for results, dating and waiting for a proposal and a wedding, raising children and waiting for them to grow up and turn into a man and woman of values, happy and successful… Work has been a hectic roller coaster of ups and downs with contracts and fun trips, with deadlines and late hours in the lab that often extended to the wee hours of the day to deliver sample results on time to the customers.

I’ve spent my life worrying about one thing after another, torturing myself with anxiety and then celebrating with excitement. Overworked and burned out, I needed my early retirement to read, write, walk, exercise, start living without pressure or stress.

Little did I expect that writing romance novels would soon turn into an obsession, an addiction consuming my life and bringing again a whole new set of anxiety and excitement. Participating in contests and waiting for the phone call announcing the finalists; submitting to editors and waiting for the letter or the email with so much hope and so much anxiety, only to be crushed by a form rejection. With time the rejection turned into a two-page letter with suggestions and request for revisions, and then finally the “call” came, bringing such a delirious happiness.

So why the stress? The anxiety that burns my stomach and dries my throat?
My children claim that I make it a hobby to worry about one thing or another.

After six books published, the ups and downs continue, waiting for the book release, waiting for reviews and fan letters, promoting, blogging, participating in book signings…

Is it part of my nature to take everything to heart, to grind my teeth or bite my nails while waiting for others’ approval?

Do you suffer a hundred deaths when you wait for the results of an important project? Does it cause you physical distress to expect and receive what you want so badly?

If you like to travel and love to read, come and enjoy my international romances. I will take you around the world through stories that simmer with emotion and sizzle with heat.


OSIRIS' MISSING PART at Ellora’s Cave Blush for $ 5.24:

http://www.jasminejade.com/p-9394-osiris-missing-part.aspx

20 comments:

Diane Craver said...

Hi Mona,

I just had to visit (and glad I'm here) when I saw you are from Cincinnati. I saw your comment posted on Steph's blog! What a nice surprise.

Your website and blog are wonderful. I wish you many book sales! Your chemistry major is interesting because our daughter Emily graduated a year ago in Biochemistry. I hear her talk "science" but my brain doesn't grasp everything she says. LOL That's awesome you are using your chemistry background when writing your stories.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Diane, I can't believe we were both in Cincinnati and never met. I discovered OVRWA when I was already spending the winters in FL, but three years later we sold the house in Cinti and settled in Florida. Is Emily attending UC? I had my Ph.D. and spend many days and hours in Crosley Tower. Thanks for visiting.

Diane Craver said...

I never joined OVRWA but years ago attended lots of their workshops at Forest Fair Mall (I think that was the name anyhow)and they used to have a yearly conference at Holiday Inn in Sharonville I loved attending. I've gone to Lori Foster's Reader-Author Event for 3years but not this last one.

Emily graduated from Univ. of Dayton and is now in Florida atttending Nova Univ. in Ft. Lauderdale - she's studying to be an optometrist. Christina, April, and Bart (we have 6 kids) graduated from Univ. of Cincinnati and my husband also taught there for several years. He doesn't recognize Crosley Tower but he was only in a few Math bldgs.

That's awesome you moved to Florida!

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Hi, Mona. I so relate to your post. I also left an angst-filled corporate career to relax and write. I think I have more anxiety now striving to get published. :)

Mona Risk said...

Hi Dawn, I laugh at your comment. You too went from the pan to the fire. But as my DH keeps saying: write for yourself; write because you love writing; write to share your stories. If you need or want the money, then go back to your previous job. LOL

Nightingale said...

Excitement and anxiety--sometimes I feel bipolar! I don't deal well with anxiety so waiting on an answer to a submission is torture. Enjoyed your post Mona. Nice to know even multi-pubbed authors feel the same.

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Mona, the only thing that stresses me out is when my DH acts like a glorified babysitter instead of a parent. It isn't often, bless him, but when I come home to a trashed house and dishes in the sink, my blood pressure goes sky high. LOL!! I always forgive him though. It's not worth stress.

Congrats on six books, Sweetie. That's an accomplishment! How cool is that you and Diane have so much in common?

Smiles
Steph

Unknown said...

MONA--I guess whatever we do, excitement and anxiety are built in to the system. I, too, wonder why I'm putting myself through all this, because I'm certainly not getting rich. But if I didn't, what would I do? I always work best with a little anxiety or pressure--not much, not it doesn't take muce....but I really do. The excitement, in my opinion, overides the anxiety.
One of my publisher's just sent a wonderful review he'd found for one of my Women's Fiction books. See? Now I'm as excited as a kid with a new toy!
Good topic, Mona.
Celia

Mona Risk said...

Hi Linda, I like your qualifier of Bipolar. That's what I must be too.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Steph, I can just imagine your house with three 'men', having fun when Mommy isn't home. I can remember myself saying, 'but you didn't get the laundry out of the washer'. The answer was always, you didn't tell me you also wanted me to do that!!

Mona Risk said...

Hi Celia-- Glad to see you on the blogging circuit again. Congratulations on the great review. It's coming at a good time to cheer you up. When excitement exceeds anxiety, then writing is certainly worth the time put in front of a computer.

Mona Risk said...

Diane, if you ever come to Fort Lauderdale, let me know. I'll take you to lunch and will reminisce about Cinti.

Mary Ricksen said...

Hi Mona,
I think it's about being driven. Some people have it in their natures to love , to look for new and engaging ways to use the brains God gave to them. Some people jump into what they love to do with energy, drive, intent, and the need to meet their goals. The intense desire to be a success at what they do. Some people have imaginative minds and through their own experiences they learn, some of them learn a lot too. They look at life as an opportunity. And they thrive on it. They are able to use their abilities to the best extent they can. You Mona are all of these things. That is why you were a very successful chemist, and that is why you write. It's why you succeed, you never, quit. And you have a tender heart that you share with a tremendous amount of love. Does that answer your question?

P.L. Parker said...

I'm a constant worrier. My family says if I don't have something to worry about, I make something up!

Mona Risk said...

Oh Mary, what you wrote is so nice. And true. I worry because I love my family and friends, because I loved my work as a chemist, and now I love to write.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Patsy, we sure have that in common. We'll invent worries if needed, well not invent, but look around and find them.

Diane Craver said...

Hi Mona,

Thanks for the lunch date offer. Sounds like fun. Hopefully, I'll get to Ft. Lauderdale again!

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Mona,
You have certainly led an interesting life and it shows in your writing. I think human nature being as it is, we can't help worrying. I know I do it all the time, I wish I could stop it and learn to relax but I can't

Regards

Margaret

Mona Risk said...

Hi Margaret, we should open a club or create a loop called Anxious Writers. LOL

Josie said...

Outstanding blogs, Mona. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful adventures with us.