Twitter

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reviewing 2011 resolutions:

1- FIRST RESOLUTION
Walk 3-5 miles a day, several times a week.
Check: I walked 4 miles a day, 3 to 4 times a week for two months.
Positive results: so proud of myself for this accomplishment
Negative results: developed a bone spur in my right heel. Very painful.

Podiatrist had me wear booties when sleeping. Orthopedic doctor gave me a cortisone injection in the heel. So painful I almost kicked him while lying on my stomach, my leg bent upward. The nurse was holding me with all her strength and I was alternatively biting my teeth and screaming from pain. Doctor also ordered special orthoses to cushion my sneakers. The injection and orthoses helped for six months and then the pain in my heel returned when I fell. This time I went through a long therapy to remove the inflammation. It looked like I'll have to receive another cortisone injection to be able to walk normally.

Counter-Resolution: Never again! No more resolution to exercise or walk. If I feel like walking, I'll walk. If I feel like exercising, I will. No need to force myself with a challenge. My body knows what's best.

2- SECOND RESOLUTION:
Diet. No high calorie food. No chocolate, cookies, desserts, ice-cream. I replaced these with nuts: almonds and pistachios.
Check: I lost weight.
Positive results: so proud of myself for this accomplishment
Negative Result: an acute pain in my left side, stomach problem that turns out to be goal bladder stones.
Gastro-enterologist visit, tests, c-scan. And an order to eat a bland diet: bread, potatoes, noodles,...
Results: I gained fifteen pounds.

Counter-Resolution: Never again! No more resolution to diet. If I feel like eating chocolate, I will. If I feel splurging on ice cream, I will. No need to force myself with a challenge. My body knows what's best.

So what resolutions can I make for 2012?

It's not healthy not to have goals and make resolutions. I need easy ones.
Help me choose easy resolutions that won't break my bones or hurt my system!


In RIGHT NAME, WRONG MAN, my heroine has lost 90lbs before the story begins. But she had an incredible motivation.
A 5 Stars plus review
$0.99 at http://tinyurl.com/85o4wg7

15 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Okay; whose health is following whose?

I also began walking 3 miles a day and developed a heel spur on my right foot, plus plantar faschitis (Oct)

Twisted my left ankle that same week and ended up in an air cast.

Good news: Lost 7 pounds. Bad news? With being unable to walk, and the stress and holidays and over-indulging, I think I've put them (and a few others!) back on.

Happy New Year Mona!!!!! Let's have a healthy year for both of us, exercising and eating when we want and WHAT we want:)

Mona Risk said...

Oh Molly, I'm so sorry about your bonespur and plantar faschitis. Yes I have that too, but can't pronounce it right. Pathetic. Tonight I'll go to my building New Year's Eve party with a lovely dress and sneakers. Unless I can manage a pair of shoes that doesn't hurt after 5 minutes.

But let's be positive. It could be worst, if my right wrist or hand were affected. I wouldn't be able to type. Oh no, please.

May you have a happy and healthier New Year my friend.

Molly Daniels said...

LOL:) You're right; I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't type! Here's to healthy hands and fingers:)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I had some major surgery on my ankle a year ago to remove bone chips, spurs and fix some ligaments. Now I'm jogging and happy. Hope this year goes better for you.

Mona Risk said...

Susan, thanks for reassuring us. Glad you can jog again. Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

Oh, MONA..I'm sorry I'm laughing! Bless your heart. See? You learned a valuable lesson--no resolutions. It's best to do what you feel like--that's my goal.
I had an injection in my foot once, and I'm telling you...it hurts like nothiing else. Like you, I couldn't keep from kicking. Just horrible.
So, listen to your body, and I so hope that bone spur goes away. When my feet hurt--or my head--I cannot cope. Anything inbetween is not so bad.
Love you...and Happy New Year!

LK Hunsaker said...

Aw :-( Like I tell my daughter, it's about health, not about the numbers (or goals). Enjoy your chocolate!

Keena Kincaid said...

Mona,
I'm trying not to laugh, but you presented this in just a humorous way that I can't help myself. I don't blame you for staying away from eating right/exercising resolutions.

My resolution for the coming year is going to be a simple one: Be kind.

We'll see how that one goes.

Mary Ricksen said...

Candy for everyone! You can't win can you Mona! Happy New Year my friend! Chris had to have a bone spur removed from his toe, so I know they hurt!

Mona Risk said...

Hi Celia, I was laughing too while writing this post, and laughing at myself. Once my former boss told me, it's better to laugh than cry in time of crisis. Anyway, my little miseries are not life-threatening, thank God.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Loraine, tonight I indulged and enjoyed chocolate, pistachios and sweet wine. I may cry tomorrow but I really enjoyed my indulgence.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Keena, that is a great resolution. Be kind to yourself. I like it a lot.

Lynne Marshall said...

Oh, Mona! Sometimes, the best intentions don't pay off, do they.

Here's a resolution you definitely need to make - write another wonderful book that your readers can devour and beg for more.

1. Doesn't include calories
2. Doesn't include exercise - except for your fingers on the keyboard.

Drawbacks: 1. you might gain weight putting in the hours of writing necessary to complete that blockbuster book.2. You might develop the kind of health issues that occur with excessing sitting on one's derrier!

I still think that resolution is a winner!

Looking forward to your next book.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Mary, Happy New Year. I'm going to ask you how Chris got rid of his bone spur?

Mona Risk said...

Hi Lynne, you have a great resolution I intend to adopt. Write a good book. And a second one: read a lot of good books. And a third one, immediately write a review for your fellow authors who suffer as much as I do from low self-confidence and need continuous praise to support their writing.